My parents went back to India yesterday, leaving us with beautiful memories and heavy hearts. I am trying so hard to distract myself but my 3 year old repeats the same lines every 5 minutes – I am missing my grand parents. I have got the tickets to India in my purse, lets go mommy. Now only if it was as easy 😦 I guess we all would get used to them not being around but it will take a while. I am just thankful to God (and my parents) for making this the most memorable summer ever. Here’s hoping for another one soon. 🙂
I haven’t really cooked anything today, mostly because I am so depressed and also cause my mommy stuffed my fridge with food. Love her for that. 🙂
So today I am sharing a dish that is very close to my heart. It won me the prize for the most innovative recipe at a contest for B’Khush Magazine. Its quite a simple recipe where the good old bean sprouts salad is served in a potato basket. I had baked the basket but you can certainly fry it too.
Here is how I made it:
For the Basket – Potatoes – 2 medium, grated
Corn Flour (or Corn Starch) – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp.
Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Stuffing – Bean Sprouts – 1 cup, Steamed
Onion – 1 small, chopped
Tomato – 1 small, deseeded and chopped
Tamarind Chutney – 2 tbsp. (Feel free to use mint or coriander chutney if you like that better)
Chilly Powder – 1/4 tsp (Can replace with fresh green chilly, chopped finely)
Chaat Masala – 1 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Sev for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a 6 hole muffin tray.
- Grate the potatoes and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Finally, add in the corn flour, oil, salt and pepper as per taste.
- Line these in the muffin tin and bake for about 30 mins, till the cups get a nice golden brown color.
- While that is happening, get your sprout stuffing ready. In a mixing bowl, add in the sprouts, chopped onion and tomatoes and mix well. Season it with Salt, chilly powder and chaat masala.
- Finally, fill your stuffing in the potato basket and top it with your favorite chutney and some sev and enjoy this delightful and delicious twist on the regular sprouts salad.
- Feel free to use your favorite stuffing in the baskets – beans and veggies would also be a great option or some garbanzo beans and yogurt. Just use your imagination and preferences.
See you again soon.