Red curry is a popular Thai dish made with Thai paste and coconut milk. It can be made with your choice of meat or by adding veggies and tofu. Its like a soup, best had with jasmine rice. It comes together really quickly, especially if you use store bought red curry paste. However, sometimes the red curry paste also has shrimp or fish sauce, so just check the ingredients before buying, if you prefer a complete vegetarian curry. You can also make your own red curry paste. I have included the recipe below.
Here is how to make the red curry:
Oil – 1 tbsp
Coconut Milk – 1 can 14 oz
Thai red curry paste – 2 tbsp. (Adjust based on spice preference)
Brown Sugar – 1 Tbsp
Large Shrimp – peeled and deveined – 1 Lb
Mixed vegetables of your choice – 1 cup, I have used onions, red & green pepper, carrots and baby corn. Feel free to use what you like here.
Fish Sauce or Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
Fresh Thai basil – for garnish
- Heat oil in the big pan and add the red curry paste. Mix it well and make sure its heated through.
- Add in the can of coconut milk and let it come to a gentle simmer.
- Once the milk has come to a boil, add the sugar and soy sauce or fish sauce, if using. Mix well and let it cook for a minute.
- If you would like to make this with chicken, you can add bite sized chicken breasts here and let them cook before you add the veggies.
- Its time to add all the veggies. We need to make sure that the veggies are not over cooked. Mix everything well.
- Add the shrimp (or Tofu, if making the vegetarian version) now and allow it to cook. Be very gentle while mixing.
- Let the curry cook for about 3 – 4 minutes and make sure the shrimp is well cooked. (Or the Tofu is well heated)
- Check the seasoning to ensure it suits your taste buds.
- Finally garnish it with thai basil leaves and dig in. Its best enjoyed with some Jasmine Rice.