Hello there. Sorry for being away for so long. We just came back from a trip to the Niagara Falls in Canada. It is undoubtedly the best fall in the world. Here is a picture of the beauty. If you have never been there, I highly recommend it. 🙂
Today I am sharing some Chicken Nargisi Kofta with you, or Indian scotch eggs. It is made by coating hard boiled eggs with minced meat and then deep frying them. These koftas are then added to a delicious gravy and the result is a treat you don’t want to miss. So just like the Niagara Falls above, this is one of a kind and definitely a must try. 😛
Here is how I made it:
For the Kofta
Hard Boiled Eggs – 6
Minced chicken – 1 pound (Use your choice of meat)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp.
Roasted Chickpea flour – 1/2 cup
Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mint Leaves – 1/2 cup, made into a paste, optional
For the curry
Oil – 1 tbsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 medium, pureed
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Cashew nut paste – 1/4 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1.5 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
Cilantro leaves – for garnish
- Hard boil the eggs, peel and keep aside.
- In your minced chicken, add in the ginger garlic paste, roasted besan or chickpea flour, red chilly powder, salt and the mint paste. You can totally skip the mint if you don’t like the taste. Make a smooth paste of this mixture.
- Wet your hands and gently coat the eggs with this minced meat mixture making sure an even coating on all sides.
- These eggs are usually fried but I baked them instead to make a healthier version. You can definitely fry them. To bake them, preheat your oven to 400F and bake them for about 30 minutes, turning sides midway.
- While the eggs are baking, we can make the gravy. Heat oil in a pan and add in the cumin seeds.
- Once, the cumin seeds crackle, add the ginger garlic paste and let it cook for a minute. Now add the finely chopped onions and let them cook till they get a beautiful brown color, about 5 minutes.
- Its time to add in the tomato puree now. Some people also like to use yogurt for the gravy. You can add half cup of yogurt in place of the tomatoes if you like. Cook the tomato puree till you see some oil oozing out from it.
- Once the onion tomato masala is ready add in all the dry spices – salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and the garam masala. Mix well.
- Finally, add in the cashew nut paste and about half cup of water. Mix everything well and let it come to a boil. Cook for a few minutes.
- Now gently slide in the egg koftas in the gravy, making sure not to break them. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with some chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with your choice of Indian Bread or rice.
So that is how I made this delightful dish. It looks beautiful when you cut the koftas and the eggs inside are such a pleasant surprise. I hope you will give this a try.
Thanks for stopping by.