Hello guys. Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather and gearing up for the winters. I am of course looking forward to the first snow….but just the first one 😉 Hope the winters this year won’t be as bad as 2015.
Today I am making some delicious kheer or Indian rice pudding in my slow cooker. I am officially in love with my slow cooker. <3. From chicken curry, rajma, soups to this kheer, I have loved everything that I have tried in it. The joy of throwing everything together in the morning and getting a delicious meal in the evening is so rewarding. I plan to share more slow cooker recipes soon, but lets make some delicious and creamy rice pudding today.
Rice pudding is made by slow cooking the rice and milk together till the rice is well cooked and the pudding is all creamy. The stove top method is quicker but it needs a lot of baby sitting where you need to continuously stir the milk and rice to prevent it from burning. The slow cooker method is my new favorite version. The slow cooking makes the pudding very rich and creamy, minus the effort. 🙂
Let’s make some delicious kheer now
Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
Whole Milk – 5 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chopped Almonds or pistachios – for garnish
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non sticky spray. It makes for easy clean up.
- Dump the rice, milk, sugar and cardamom powder in the slow cooker. Mix everything well and let it cook on low for 6 hours. You can stir it once or twice in between if you like, scrapping the sides in the process.
- After 6 hours, the rice would have cooked completely and the pudding will be nice and creamy. Check to make sure the consistency of the pudding is as per your preference.
- Garnish it with chopped almonds or pistachios and serve hot or cold. It tastes delicious either way.
- The pudding gets a little thicker when it cools down, just add some cold milk to adjust the consistency. Enjoy
So that is how I made this super easy and super delicious rice pudding in my slow cooker and loved every bite of it. It had a beautiful pink color to it. I served this with some warm and soft gulab jamun and it was absolutely heavenly. 🙂
Do give this a try and I am sure you will love it.
Thanks for stopping by.