Mushrooms are a favorite in my house. Its such a versatile vegetable. You can make a sandwich with it, use it as a pizza topping, make a spicy mushroom curry or even turn them into an appetizer. Stuffed Mushrooms are such a great party appetizer. They are quick and easy to make and look so delightful. I am making the vegetarian version here but you can totally add sausage to it, if you like.
How do you like your mushrooms..?? 😀
It is very important to clean the mushrooms first before cooking. Most people prefer to just wipe it well with a wet kitchen towel. I however prefer to wash them well under running water. It is important to dry them quickly with a paper towel after rinsing. They should absolutely be not kept wet for longer periods or they will turn soggy and who likes soggy mushrooms. 😦
So after that cleaning up, lets make some stuffed mushrooms.
Medium sized mushrooms – about 10
Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
Small onion – finely chopped
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
Garlic – 1 tbsp., minced
Spinach – 1/2 cup, chopped
Cream cheese – 1/2 cup or 4 oz
Salt to taste
Ground Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
Parsley – finely chopped for garnish
- Clean the mushrooms well and make sure they are dry before you start cooking. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Remove the stem from each mushroom and set aside. Scoop out some of the flesh from the mushrooms to make some space for the stuffing. Finely chop the stem sides and the scooped out flesh from the mushroom caps.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet and add in the minced garlic. Let it get a little color and add in the onions. Cook them for a few minutes and mix in the chopped mushroom stems and flesh. Cook everything for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mix in the spinach, cream cheese, salt and pepper to the onion and mushroom mixture above and combine well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the mushroom caps on it. Take a small spoon and fill in the mushroom with the stuffing we have prepared.
- Top each of the mushroom caps with some shredded cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake them until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is heated through. You should be able to see a nice golden color on top. It should take about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
So that is how I make my stuffed mushrooms. Do give it a try and let me know if you like it.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope to see you again soon.