Hello everyone. I am so glad you have stopped by. Today I am sharing another beautiful dish for your next get-together. I like to call it Stuffed Tomatoes – Indian style. This is so versatile that it can be served as an appetizer or as a main course, dry or in a gravy. Also, the stuffing I have used here is the good old potato mix, but cottage cheese (or paneer) works great here. You can also use your choice of minced meat and make this a non-vegetarian version. Just use your creativity. I am sure you will love it and so will your guests.
Lets make some pretty looking stuffed tomatoes 🙂
Firm Tomatoes – 8
Oil as needed to coat the tomatoes
Boiled and mashed potatoes – 3
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Frozen Corn – 1/2 cup (You can also use frozen peas if you like)
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Green Chilies – 2 chopped, optional
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Shredded Cheese and tomato ketchup – for garnish
- Cut a thick slice on top of each of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and pulp. If your tomatoes are not balancing, you can also cut a thin layer at the bottom to make sure they stand well.
- Coat the tomatoes well with oil and keep aside. We will make the stuffing now.
- Heat oil in a medium pan and add in the cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add the ginger garlic paste and the green chilies and cook for a minute or two. Now add the chopped onion and let them cook till they are nicely brown, about 5 minutes.
- Finally, add in the mashed potatoes and frozen corn and mix well. Mix in the dry spices – salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and garam masala. Make sure everything is well combined. Cook the stuffing on medium heat till its well heated through and all flavors have blended in, another 5 – 6 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Pre heat your oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place your tomato cups on that.
- Once the stuffing has cooled down to touch, fill it inside the tomatoes and cover the tomatoes with their tops. Bake them for about 20 minutes till the tomatoes are soft to touch. Make sure not to over bake them as the tomato skins will rupture.
- Take them out when done and garnish each of the tomatoes with some shredded cheese and some tomato ketchup. Serve hot.
- You can also make these on the stove top. Just cover and cook them till soft.
So there was another gorgeous dish for you. I hope you will give it a try and let me know.
Thanks for stopping by.