Hello everyone. Its that time of the month where I do my monthly column for the B’khush Magazine. It is an online magazine, catering to the South Asian population around the world. They write about varied topics ranging from fitness, beauty, parenting, DIY projects, recipes etc. Do check out their website – B’Khush – Upload Thoughts, Download Happiness.
My column in the magazine is called “Healthy Bites“. Through this column, I like to share such recipes that provide the nutrition, taste great and most of all you can enjoy them guilt free. Follow me here to make some easy and healthy dishes that you wouldn’t feel guilty about when you take that second serving. Just in case you have missed the previous posts for my column, here are some of the healthy dishes I had cooked up for them.
Today I am making another healthy dish and its called Quinoa and Kale patties. This is a super healthy patty that combines the goodness of two super foods. Quinoa are very nutritional grains and pack a lot of proteins. The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO), declared 2013 to be the International Year of Quinoa. Kale is another superfood very high in antioxidants and Vitamin K and Vitamin C. I enjoyed it with some poached eggs but these would just be as good as an appetizer.
And finally, let’s hop on to the B’Khush Women website for the recipe of these delicious Quinoa and Kale Patties.
Update : The B’Khush Women website is currently not working. You can find the recipe here.
Cooked Quinoa – 1 cup (See package for instructions to cook quinoa)
Kale – 1 cup, shopped finely (Can substitute with spinach)
Garlic Cloves – 2, chopped finely
Onion – 1, small, chopped finely
Boiled and Mashed Potato – 1, medium (Can use sweet potato)
Oil – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Cook the Quinoa as per package instructions and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a nonstick skillet or pan and add the garlic and onion. Cook for about 3 minutes till the onions get a little color.
- Now add in the chopped Kale and cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring continuously. Take it off the flame and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the quinoa, kale and onion mix, boiled and mashed potato, salt, pepper and cumin powder. Mix everything well. Check the spices as per your preference.
- Now heat the 1 tbsp of oil in the skillet and make small round patties of this mix.
- Let it cook for 7 – 10 minutes on each side till they get a nice golden color. Turn and cook for another 10 minutes. Make sure the flame is medium low throughout.
- Finish cooking all the patties similarly. Enjoy warm for whichever meal you prefer. They will taste delicious.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you will give this a try and let me know if you like it.