Seekh Kebabs are such a delicious way to enjoy minced meat. I am using the turkey mince to make kebabs today but chicken mince would work just as fine for this recipe. If you are looking for a quick and delicious non vegetarian appetizer, this is it. These are traditionally made in a Tandoor or clay oven but turn out just as delicious in your conventional oven, on the stove top or also in an appe pan. And now that the grilling season is here, this would definitely be a great option.
I would also like to take this opportunity to wish Ramadan Mubarak to all my fasting friends. May this fasting month bring lots of happiness to all of you. Stay blessed.
Now fasting or not, lets make some delicious Kebabs. 😛
Turkey Minced – 1 pound (Can use Chicken or lamb mince meat as well)
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp.
Onion – 1 small chopped
Garlic Cloves – 4, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped
Green Chilies – 2, finely chopped
Egg – 1 (or use 1/2 cup roasted Besan/gram flour)
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Black pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cilantro leaves – 2 tbsp., finely chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp. (more, as needed for basting)
- Soak your wooden skewers in water for at least an hour before cooking to make sure they do not burn.
- Mix all the ingredients, except oil and keep it covered to marinade for at least an hour, if you can. I have made them without marinating too and they turn out fine.
- If you plan to bake these, preheat your oven to 400 F. Wet your hands, put the chicken paste on to the skewers and place them in a greased baking sheet. If your chicken is not sticking to the skewers, you can just shape your mixture like a rod and insert the skewers in it.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, turning midway to ensure even cooking. Baste your chicken with oil as needed.
- Once done, broil/grill the kebabs for another 2 minutes to get a beautiful brown color.
- You can also make these on the stove top. Just heat a tawa or a skillet pan and drizzle some oil on it.
- Place your skewers on the tawa and cook them, turning around to ensure even cooking. Baste your kebabs with oil as needed.
- Your delicious kebabs are ready. Serve them with Onion rings, lemon wedges and some green chutney.
- For a variation, I sometimes add a mashed ripe avocado to the kebabs. This makes super soft and delicious kebabs or burgers.
- You can enjoy them as is or as a roll in between a tortilla or roti. Or make them like a patty and enjoy a delicious burger.
So that is how I made these yummy kebabs. I hope you will give these a try and let me know if you like them.
Thanks so much for stopping by.